How to Join Merchant Navy after Mechanical Engineering in India
Do you wish to become a marine engineer? Are you thinking of join Merchant Navy after Mechanical Engineering? Do you want to be clad in that smart white-colored uniform that is a dream of many? Many students have a glitch in their minds if they can pursue marine engineering courses after successful completion of their mechanical engineering. The answer to this question is a sure shot ’yes.’
If you are a mechanical engineer and wish to join the Indian Merchant Navy, you can become a marine engineer using your mechanical engineering degree. Numerous topics are covered in both mechanical and marine engineering courses, making it more straightforward for a mechanical engineer to earn a second degree in marine engineering and gain access to new career prospects.
Additionally, people who already hold a mechanical engineering degree may consider studying marine engineering due to the current shortage of maritime specialists in the shipping industry and the dearth of quality mechanical engineering positions available.
How to Become a Marine Engineer?
The benefit of studying marine engineering after mechanical engineering is that you avoid going through the demanding four-year engineering training program required for marine engineers. Only a one-year specialist course is required.
You can join the Merchant Navy after mechanical engineering through the one-year GME Course! After completing mechanical engineering, all you need to become a marine engineer is this one-year GME (Graduate Marine Engineer) course.
What is the Graduate Marine Engineer (GME) Course?
Graduate Marine Engineering (GME) is a one-year postgraduate program for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or naval architecture from an AICTE-approved engineering college in India. This course enables you to become Marine Engineers on board Merchant Navy Vessels (Ships) anywhere in the world.
Upon completing GME, you will be eligible for 6 months of onboard training as Junior Engineer on a seagoing vessel. You’ll receive boarding and accommodation on the company’s expense, along with a monthly stipend.
After the training period, you need to appear for the Certificate of Competency (COC) Examination (Class IV) conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping. On completion of the COC, you can serve on board a ship as a Fourth Engineer Officer.
Eligibility Criteria for GME Course
- Qualification: Graduation in BE (Mechanical Engineering) or Naval Architecture from an AICTE/UGC approved University, with a minimum of 55% in the final year. The number of ATKT/Arrears/Repeats/Failures obtained during the entire degree program must not be more than 6.
- Age Limit: Not more than 28 years (As on the date of commencement of course)
- Medical Standards: Candidates should be medically and physically fit. A full medical check-up through a Panel Doctor approved by D.G Shipping will be undertaken. A complete eyesight test will also be conducted in which the distance vision should be 6/6 or 6/12 in each eye or 6/18 in one eye and 6/9 in the better eye with no color blindness.
Selection Process for GME Course
- Entrance examinations: Eligible candidates have to appear for the entrance exams conducted by the selected college. Shortlisted candidates will then be called for the panel interview.
- Panel interview: Shortlisted candidates get called for the admission procedure.
- Medical examination: Selected candidates will undergo a medical screening to test their eyesight and physical fitness.
- Pre-sea training: Candidates who clear the medical examination will begin with 1 year of pre-sea training.
Career Path for GME after Mechanical Engineering
- Complete 1 year of your Pre-Sea training from a DG Shipping Approved institute
- Join a ship as a Junior Engineer and work for a period of 6 months
- Clear your Class 4 exams and get promoted to 4th Engineer
- Appear for COC (Certificate of Competency) and get promoted to 3rd Engineer
- After MEO Class 2 exams, get promoted to 2nd Engineer
- After MEO Class 1 exams, get promoted to Chief Engineer
Best Colleges for Graduate Marine Engineering in India
If you are a mechanical engineer, there are a number of institutions that provide a one-year Graduate Marine Engineering Course that are accredited by the Directorate General of Shipping, India.
Some of the best institutes offering GME course and joining Merchant Navy after mechanical engineering in India are:
- Academy of Maritime Education & Training, Chennai
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Lonavala, Maharashtra
- Institute of Maritime Studies, Goa
- International Maritime Institute Ltd, Greater Noida
- Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy, Maharashtra
Check out the complete list of GME colleges and their details in this blog: Top 10 D.G. Approved GME Colleges in India