B.Tech in Marine Engineering
B.tech Marine Engineering is a 4-year degree course that leads to a Class IV Marine Engineer Officer Certificate of Competency awarded by the Ministry of Shipping (Government of India). This is a fully residential course comprising 8 semesters and includes training on Ship-in-Campus during the seventh semester. This course begins in August every year.
After obtaining the degree and further completing 6 months of sea service, candidates are eligible to work as a Marine Engineer on merchant navy ships all around the world. Those who want to apply for this course also need to appear for the Indian Maritime University’s common entrance test (IMU-CET).
- 12th Pass with at least 60% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM), and 50% marks in English (in both 10th & 12th or diploma)
- Can join 2nd year when passed 1st year from alt. DG Approved training.
- Can join 2nd year when passed 1st year in streams like mechanical or electrical with minimum 60%.
- Can join 2nd year when passed 3 year diploma course in mechanical/electrical & electronics with minimum 55% in last year.
Age Limit: 17.5- 25 years (As on the date of commencement of course)
Medical standards: Candidates should be medically and physically fit. A full medical check-up through a Panel Doctor approved by D.G Shipping will be undertaken. A complete eyesight test will also be conducted in which the distance vision should be 6/6 with no colour blindness.
Selection Process –
- IMU-CET and Sponsorship: Eligible candidates have to appear for the IMU-CET exams. Rank-holding candidates must get sponsorship through any registered shipping company before registering for this course.
- Panel interview: Shortlisted candidates get called for the admission procedure.
- Medical examination: Selected candidates will undergo a medical screening to test their eyesight and physical fitness.
- Pre-sea training: Candidates who clear the medical examination will begin with 4 year of pre-sea training.
Pre-Sea TrainingComplete 4 years of your Pre-Sea training from a DG Shipping Approved institute and obtain a bachelor's degree.
Work as a Junior EngineerJoin Merchant Navy as a Junior Engineer.
Promotion to 4th EngineerAfter MEO Class 4 exams, get promoted to 4th or 3rd Engineer.
Promotion to 2nd EngineerAfter MEO Class 2 exams, get promoted to 2nd Engineer.
Become Chief EngineerAfter MEO Class 1 exams, become the Chief Engineer of the Ship.